Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Lemon Garlic butter- Have you been trying to find a straightforward vegetable side dish? Roasted cabbage wedges served with lemon garlic butter is a good choice. Cabbage is really a vegetable that individuals all need to consume more of, but plenty of people don’t want it boiled.
What’s the clear answer? Roasting it!
When it’s roasted, it becomes sweeter and takes on a slightly nutty taste. Just brush on some essential olive oil and sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper, and let your oven do the work.
You can eat it plain or with a sauce, dressing or flavored butter drizzled on top. For this recipe, mince up some garlic and allow it cook in butter until they both turn a golden brown. Next, add a splash of lemon juice and brush on the garlic brown butter.
Now the humble cabbage wedge has just been elevated to an elegant side!
How should the cabbage be cut?
- Take away the loose, tough outer leaves.
- Cut from top to bottom, straight through the core.
- Place the cut side down on the chopping board.
- Make another cut through the core to quarter it.
- Continue doing this cut to obtain 8 wedges.
- Keep carefully the inner core on the wedges, because it helps it hold its shape while roasting.
Is cabbage saturated in fiber?
Yes, it’s saturated in soluble fiber, because it is 87% water. The fiber helps you’re feeling full, rendering it a popular food choice for weight loss.
Have you got to use green cabbage?
No, feel free to use red or savoy. Since red is round and tightly compacted like green, it should cook similarly.
How do you reheat this?
- In a 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Make use of a cast iron skillet, over medium low heat, for 3 minutes per side.
What can you eat with this dish?
- Corned beef
- Pork chops
- Smoked meat
- Roasted potatoes, leeks, carrots, onions
Lay cut side down and roast for 20 minutes at 400 F. Remove from the oven and carefully flip the wedges over and roast for another 20 minutes, or before outer edges are browned and crispy and fork tender.
You may want to improve or decrease the cooking time, as each cabbage is really a different size, and each oven cooks at a slightly different temperature. For a more caramelized look, cook longer on each side at 400 F.
- Want this as the key course? Serve a tomato sauce over top with an area of rice.
- Want this as a foundation for an easy salad? Drizzle a mustard vinaigrette over top, and garnish with chopped green onion.
- Want to include some cheese as garnish? Try blue cheese, feta, or shaved parmesan.
- Want to include some nuts? Try walnuts or pine nuts.
- Want to include more spices? Try fennel seeds, celery seeds, coriander, mustard seeds, and caraway seeds.
- Want a more Asian flavor? Try sesame oil, soy sauce, and lime juice.
- Make use of a heavy tight leaved cabbage to find the best results.
- Cut the wedges the same size so they will be cooked through at the same time.
- Don’t eliminate the core until after it’s cooked because it is helps the wedge keep it’s shape whenever you flip it.
- Don’t want to use aluminum foil? Use parchment paper, but make sure to keep consitently the oven temperature no hotter than 420F.
- Roast on the center rack in a hot oven set at 400F, 425F or 450F. Adjust cooking times for a hotter oven.
- Are interested more caramelized? Cook it longer on each side at 400F or increase temperature to 425F, but watch carefully such that it doesn’t burn.
Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Lemon Garlic butter
Roasted cabbage wedges are an easy healthy side dish you can serve for a low carb dinner. Simply use fresh green cabbage, garlic, lemon and butter. Enjoy the health benefits of this quick vegetarian recipe that can be roasted in the oven on one tray.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
FOR THE ROASTED CABBAGE
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
FOR THE LEMON GARLIC BUTTER
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
ROASTING THE CABBAGE
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large cookie sheet with foil.
- Take off the outer leaves. Using a large knife, cut it into 8 pieces by cutting it in half, then in quarters, etc. Leave the stem and core on, as it helps it hold its shape.
- Place it on the foil-lined cookie sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then carefully turn with a flipper and roast for another 20 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges and fork tender. Use your own judgement for cooking time, as each cabbage is a different size, and ovens will cook at different temperatures unless it’s been calibrated.
MAKING THE LEMON GARLIC BROWN BUTTER
- While the wedges are roasting, mince the four cloves of garlic.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add in the garlic. Constantly stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and garlic turns a golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and pour the browned butter and garlic into a small bowl.
- Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir again and adjust seasonings to taste.
- When the roasted cabbage is ready to serve, brush the lemon garlic butter onto each wedge.
- Cut off the core that extends past the arch for a pretty presentation.
- Serve warm with a bowl of Dublin coddle and boxty bread.