Mozzarella sticks are one of my personal favorite appetizers ever. They’re up there with things like buffalo chicken dip and Parmesan garlic wings. What’s never to love about melty, gooey cheese? Nothing. Except the carb count needless to say! Most recipes necessitate carb-heavy breading, but you can use low carb things that taste just like delicious to create melty low carb mozzarella stick perfection that I simply know you’ll love.
And on top of that? This mozzarella stick recipe uses easy ingredients that are kid-friendly and that you might even have in your house already. Instead of coating these cheese sticks in breading, I’m dunking them in a healthy dose of Parmesan cheese, just how Used to do with my Parmesan chicken nuggets.
Yes, which means there’s some extra cheese action going on, but trust me when I say the end result is fantastic! I’d gladly serve and snack on these low carb mozzarella sticks over the holidays, on game day, or whenever a cheese craving hits.
A KETO APPETIZER THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE!
I’ve two kiddos within my house, one of whom will eat anything you place before him, and the other one, well not much. Let’s just say sometimes it surprises me she is growing! But mozzarella sticks (or within my house pizza sticks) are a very important factor she will eat gladly.
And not only will my picky little eater gladly gobble them up, but she likes to help make these easy low carb mozzarella sticks too. She’d a great time helping me put this recipe together, burying the cheese sticks in mountains of Parmesan cheese to coat them.
EASY HOMEMADE BAKED MOZZARELLA STICKS
Despite having a 5 year old within the cheese sticks in a stack of Parmesan, these low carb mozzarella sticks are a straightforward to make in the oven. You just need four ingredients:
- Mozzarella string cheese sticks
- a couple spices- dried basil and garlic powder
- grated Parmesan cheese- the type in the shaker jar or canister
- an egg
To help make the mozzarella sticks, you start with cutting the mozzarella string cheese in half. This makes nice bite size pieces that you could dip in your favorite sauce.
When the sticks are halved, you can put your Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and basil in a small bowl. Then, stir it with a fork or spoon until the spices and cheese are well combined. Don’t use fresh Parmesan cheese that you’d buy in the cheese case or refrigerated section. You want the canned Parmesan cheese that you can find in the pasta aisle.
Next, put the egg in a small dish and make use of a fork to whisk it together. When the egg and parm mixture are ready, line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Dunk your cheese in to the Parmesan mix and then your egg when you dip it in Parmesan againWhen the cookie sheets are prepared, start dipping the mozzarella pieces. I tried dipping and found the best breading success by rolling a mozzarella stick in the Parmesan cheese first. Then I dip that piece in the beaten egg. Then, I rolled the double dipped cheese stick in the Parmesan mixture until it’s well coated. Continue this until each is coated. Place them on the cookie sheet leaving a couple of inches between each piece.
Cheese getting coated in cheese. Life is good, right?
Place the trays in the freezer for 1 hour. When you are ready to help make the sticks, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. When you yourself have preheated the oven, place the trays in the oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, flipping them half way through.
Baked mozzarella sticks are easy to make, but there are some things you can do to make sure success. Here are some easy tips and tricks to follow:
- Be sure you freeze the reduced carb mozzarella sticks for at the very least one hour before baking. This can help prevent the cheese from oozing from the sticks
- Don’t over cook the sticks! Should you choose, the cheese becomes too soft and collapse. Though this doesn’t ruin the flavor, they won’t look as nice if you are serving them to others. They will turn lightly golden brown.
- You are able to store the uncooked sticks in the freezer for provided that you need. It is way better to store them uncooked than to refreeze them after cooking.
- Serve the sticks hot once they come from the oven. In the event that you wait too much time to serve, they’ll lose the gooey-ness which make mozzarella sticks so good.
- If you like the cheese sticks crispier, you have a couple options. You are able to substitute half the cheese with crushed pork rinds. Just add the crushed pork rinds to the Parmesan and spices and whisk it together.
- For crispier mozzarella sticks, you might also pan fry them in olive oil. These sticks don’t taste fried, and in my experience, I favor that since they aren’t greasy but if you want that fried taste, frying them in a couple inches of olive oil can do the trick.
I really hope you like these low carb mozzarella sticks around I love them! Happy snacking!Print
Keto Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks
Keto Low Carb Mozzarella Stick are an easy kid friendly low carb snack or appetizer. Keep some of these gluten free cheese sticks in the freezer for a quick bite any time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 sticks whole milk string cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese the kind sold in the pasta aisle not the fresh grated kind
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cut the cheese sticks in half. Then crack the egg into a small bowl and beat it until it is all mixed together. Measure out the Parmesan cheese into another bowl. Add the basil and garlic powder to the Parmesan cheese and whisk together to combine.
Dip your cut mozzarella piece into the Parmesan mixture first, then into the egg, and then again into the Parmesan. Place the dipped mozzarella stick onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until you’ve dipped all the mozzarella pieces. Put the baking sheets into the freezer for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 400. Bake the frozen mozzarella sticks for 8-10 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Serve hot with tomato sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Air Fryer: Place the coated mozzarella sticks in the air fryer in a single layer. Cook at 375 F for 10-12 minutes depending on your air fryer.
Pan Fry: Preheat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is evenly hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the pan. (The oil is hot when it shimmers or when a wooden spoon placed in the oil forms bubbles.) Place the cold mozzarella sticks into the pan being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook, turning at the 1 minute mark, until evenly golden around. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Deep Fryer: Completely freeze the coated cheese sticks. Bring oil in fryer to 365F. Carefully lower the mozzarella sticks into the hot oil, a few at a time and cook for approximately 1 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve.
Keywords: keto mozarella,lowcarb